WHY? Because Truth matters
Have you ever had someone promise the moon and deliver a pebble? If you have seen any commercial in the last fifty years, then you have likely heard many advertisers claim to be the best, fastest, and cheapest option on the market. In a highly competitive market it is impossible to sustain the best, fastest, and cheapest solution in your chosen industry. At some point one of the three will be forcefully diminished.
There is an axiom called the Unattainable Triangle that is often used in sales and marketing that states the following.
- Something that is high quality and done quickly cannot be low cost
- Something that is high quality and low cost cannot be done quickly
- Something that is done quickly, and low cost cannot be high quality
In other words, you can never have more than two of the three. If there was ever an industry where the unattainable triangle applies, it is in the technology consulting, support, and services industry. Our industry is often guilty of claiming to beat the unattainable triangle. This is the point where I admit that we do not make this claim, and that is because Truth Matters.
HOW WE DO WHAT WE DO
The Truth is that high quality and rapid response and resolution comes at a cost. To meet this demand an MSP must have enough experienced technology professionals on staff to prevent a backlog of issues. They must also have a host of advanced and expensive tools for monitoring, remote access, reporting, ticketing, and scripting. Without adequate staff and tools, a backlog of issues will occur. This backlog inhibits an MSP’s ability to get things “done quickly”. We at ArcLight call our approach to “high quality” and “done quickly” a “single touch resolution” because your initial request only touches one staff member for resolution. This is the epitome of “High Quality” and “Done Quickly”.
When we started as a company I was a bit naïve. I believed that every client needed “High Quality” work that is “Done Quickly” which is (much to my shock) not true.
Many (possibly most) clients just want “High Quality” work and can accept waiting for a resolution if it will keep their costs at a level they deem reasonable. To accomplish this task, many MSPs use a tiered support structure. In practice this means that support requests first go through a low skilled Tier 1 technician. When a Tier 1 technician is properly trained and provided detailed documentation on your organizations software and systems he should be able to resolve your issue about 77% of the time. When Tier 1 does escalate to Tier 2 there is usually a delay as the request gets queued into the system. If Tier 2 cannot resolve the issue it may go up to a Tier 3 engineer or a third-party software vendor for resolution. This will dramatically reduce time to resolution on about 23% of requests, but you save money. You save money because a Tier 1 employee salary is typically less than $28,613/year whereas a System Administrator’s salary is around $64,435 and a System Engineer’s salary is around $100,000. But you must understand that this delays resolution. If this presents a problem for your organization, but you want to pay less for support (high quality + low cost + reduce some emergency resolution delays) then you may want to invest in spare desktop, laptops, servers, and networking equipment that can quickly be put into service in the event of an emergency. There will, however still be delays because you simply can’t beat the Unattainable Triangle in all cases.
WHAT DO WE DO
ArcLight provides projects, support, and services that meet client demands for high quality, done quickly, and low cost. We acknowledge the Truth that only two of the three solutions can ever coexist and have built our plans accordingly. Although Arclight works within the unattainable triangle, we will NEVER compromise on the quality of our projects, support, or services.
ArcLight provides three service offerings.
- High Quality & Done Quickly – (Full Service) You will talk to a live experienced System Administrator for any mission critical issues and we will resolve your issue ASAP without the use of internal tiered support structures.
- High Quality & Low Cost – (Full Service Tiered) You will talk to a live experienced Tier 1 support technician about any issue. These technicians have a historical 77% resolution rate without further escalation. Any escalated issue will go to ArcLight’s System Administrators and be queued for resolution in the order it was received. Emergency issues will receive priority queuing over standard non-emergency issues.
- Services Only – (IT-Scout) For clients that want to manage their own systems or have techs or tech savvy employees on staff we can offer critical managed services for a fee along with support for issues beyond internal staff skill set. Services include backup and disaster recovery, anti-virus management, firewall management, Windows patch management, network and system monitoring and reporting and many more.
- Done Quickly & Low Cost – Service can never be “done quickly” for “low cost” and still be “high quality”. ArcLight will never offer “low quality” service. When NASA successfully sends a man into space using a rocket made of duct tape and toilet paper rolls we may consider changing our tune…
ARCLIGHT’S IMMUTABLE LAWS
- Truth Matters
- Be Righteous
- High Quality Work
- Necessary Solutions